By Priya Pote on 12 October 2022
In India, adopting a new name after birth is a usual practice. The legal process is the same regardless of the motivation—one of the most likely requirements for changing one’s name after marriage. In this article, we will learn how to draft a legal name change affidavit format.
There are many different reasons for a name change. Preparing an affidavit is the initial step in changing your name legally.
Religion, marriage, and a shift in preferences are all instances. Individuals desire to change their legal name because of marriage dissolution and gender transition. The initials, the name itself, the surname, and the addition of a surname.
A Notary signature is acceptable instead of a magistrate’s signature because getting an appointment with a magistrate can be challenging.
So, after printing it out on stamp paper with the appropriate value get in touch with the Notary office/Advocate (Rs.100/-non-judicial stamp.)
The name change affidavit format procedure begins with this step since the affidavit marks a major milestone after which your work is essentially complete.
Important guidelines for writing an affidavit to change your name
In the event of a name change, applicants must submit an ad newspaper advertisements that they placed in two reputable publications (one in the local newspaper of the applicant’s current residence and another in the newspaper of the applicant’s permanent address).
Note – For NRIs who seek to change their legal name, they must file a document for the legal name change, and get it attested by the Indian High Commission or the Indian Embassy.
DRAFT FORMAT AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE OF NAME AFTER MARRIAGE [FEMALE]
I, _____________________________________ daughter of ___________________________ and wife of ______________________________ aged _________, residing at _____________________________________________________________________________, do hereby solemnly affirm and declare as Under:
1. That my maiden name is __________________________________________________.
2. That I got married to [name of the husband] on [date of marriage] at [place of marriage] vide marriage certificate having number _______________ dated ___________, issued by _______.
3. After marriage my name is ________________________________________ .
4. That in my marriage certificate both the names of mine and name of my husband are stated.
5. That my AADHAR number is ____________________ which is same before and after marriage.
6. That my PAN number is __________________________ which is same before and after marriage.
7. That the said expanded initial (Name), namely ,may kindly be treated as first name _ , may be treated as middle name, _ as the last name.
8. I state that [maiden name] and the [present name] is the name of one and the same person and that is myself. I am executing this declaration to be submitted to the concerned authorities for the change of my name in membership database. I hereby state that whatever is stated herein above are true to the best of my Knowledge.
[Signature of Deponent]
(Affix Passport Size Photograph)
DRAFT FORMAT AFFIDAVIT FOR CHANGE OF NAME
I ____ (Applicant Name as per id proof), S/O. W/O. D/O _______________________________ residing a _______(Address as per address proof) do solemnly affirm and stated as under:
1. That my name has been recorded as (old name) in all the educational certificates and other relevant documents.
2. That by virtue of this affidavit, I changed my name from (old name) to (new name) and henceforth I shall be known as the (new name) for all purposes.
3. I shall be known and addressed as for all future purposes.
4. That the facts stated above are true to the best of my knowledge and belief.
In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my former and adopted name/surname of
………….. and ………
affix my signature and seal, if any, this ………………….. Day of ………
Signed sealed and delivered by the above name